Lubrication is a necessary component to keep your garage door working smoothly. The team at Quick Name is available to come lubricate the parts of your garage door. There are some things for homeowners to know if you wish to lubricate your own doors.
How Often Should Garage Doors Be Lubricated?
Lubrication is something that can be done during your regular preventative maintenance appointments. Both should be done at least once a year. You can have it done more often if you use your garage door more than average.
What Can Be Used to Lubricate Doors
There are several products on the market that many homeowners will used to lubricate the doors themselves. These require care in such a way as getting on a ladder to make sure you get in all the little crevices of the garage door. Here is a list of products on the market today and what they are good for:
● WD-40 – This seems like an obvious choice as it is in most households. However, it isn’t really a lubricant, it is a cleaner. It is meant to clean rust off metal which is why when used on a squeaky door, the squeak stops.
● Grease – Another household item, yet not good for your garage door. This may help at first get your garage door parts moving, but it the grease can build up. This will make your door unusable if the grease build up gets too bad.
● Oil – This product is found in most garages and excellent for car engines, not great on garage doors. Oil is messy and can drip making a mess of your property inside your garage.
● White lithium grease – Here is an excellent lubricant for your garage door. It is able to get into all the parts of the door. It isn’t messy as it is professional grade and will not wash off or drip. Comes in aerosol and is easy to use.
● Silicone-based lubricants – You can find this in most hardware stores. It is a spray lubricant and can easily get into all the crevices of the garage door.
If you feel you are unable to lubricate the garage doors yourself, give us a call. We would be happy to lubricate them for you. We can do an inspection at the same time to save you an additional appointment.
Don’t Forget to Lubricate the Garage Door Opener
Garage door openers generally come in either chain drive or belt drive. The chain drive opener should be lubricated at least once, maybe even twice, per year. Using a cloth, use white grease and apply to the entire length of the chain.
If you have a belt drive opener, it was lubricated with white grease during installation. It may not need to be greased the way a chain drive would. All openers and doors should be inspected regularly.
Call Us Today for Service
When it is time to have your garage door lubricated, call the team at Quick Name. We are always available to take your call. It is our pleasure to serve our community.